– Advertisement –
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has threatened to demolish houses built on or obstructing designated water channels.
Mr Wike spoke on Tuesday after inspecting flood-affected areas in Maitama, Abuja, where he argued that the structures are contributing to flooding in the Nigerian capital and must be removed to restore proper drainage.
His remarks came after some parts of Abuja were flooded following a heavy rain on Saturday. Residents of Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent, Lokogoma and some other areas were caught up in the flood while many cars were submerged by the flood.
The flooding validated the prediction made by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMET), which warned that FCT and seven other states are prone to flash floods.
Some Nigerians called out Mr Wike following the Saturday floods, with some accusing him of allocating lands to politicians who erected buildings on waterways.
But in his comments, Mr Wike said the affected structures were not recently built.
“Those houses are not houses that were built last week,” he said. “Those houses have been there for 10 years, eight years ago.”
Demolition threat
In his comments, Mr Wike acknowledged that some residents, including “senators”, had blocked water channels with their buildings, a situation he said defied the Abuja master plan.
“Unfortunately, we have gone there, and we have seen how people have blocked channels,” he said.
According to him, previous warnings that the consequences of obstructing waterways might not be immediate should not be interpreted to mean that there would be no consequences.
“I have told people that nothing happened yesterday… does not mean that something will not happen today,” he said. “That it did not happen today does not mean it will not happen tomorrow.”
The…
Source link
Read Full Article by Bala Augie at moneycentral.com.ng
Source link
